Keeping your business place clean and hygienic is very important to ensure the health of any person who walks through the door. For example, the workplaces like food services, regular maintenance, and cleaning of a commercial kitchen is a key requirement to ensure complete safety and success of the business. They need to follow the health code requirement that varies from state to state but it is important to understand and follow the rules of commercial kitchen hygiene to reduce the spread of bacterial and viruses.
Difference between Cleaning and Sanitizing
The result may be similar to doing both the activities but there are key difference between cleaning and sanitizing. The cleaning process is done for removing the dirt other things come on the surface by using detergent and water. The sanitization process is focused on removing or reduction of bacteria and microorganisms from the surface.
Sanitization is important for the surfaces that directly come in contact with food during preparation or utensils used for serving food like crockery, equipment, and utensils. The surfaces which are not utilized for food preparation need to be cleaned only not sanitized.
To maintain the hygiene and cleaning of your commercial kitchen, you should create a list for it. There are some key jobs that need to be done several times a day while others can be done on a weekly and monthly basis. Regular cleaning is necessary to ensure complete food safety and help in reducing food waste as well as lowering overall menu costs.
You can buy hotel supplies through online stores and ensure the complete hygiene of your restaurant kitchen.
Items should be cleaned in each cooking shift
These are common actions done by cooks and other kitchen staff. Mostly, they already complete these tasks in their schedule that will make the work complete in a timely manner.
- Brushing the grill between cooking fish, red meat.
- Switch cutting boards
- clean the line and prep areas
- empty trash bin
- changing sanitizing water and cleaning rags
After Each Shift
After breakfast, lunch, and dinner, proper cleaning should be done to maintain hygiene in the kitchen. The items used for daily cooking should be cleaned with no gaps.
- Cleaning of fryers
- Wash and sanitized of surface including prep tables, cutting boards, etc.
- Keep all the cleaning rags in dirty laundry. Also put all aprons, chefs’ coats, etc.
- Brush the grill
- Sweep and mop the kitchen floor
- Clean the meat and cheese slicer after each use
- Washing of floor mats
- Keep the steam table empty and wiped clean
- Refill soap dispensers and replace empty paper towel rolls
There are many restaurants that hire cleaner services for cleaning purposes. They come in the night for cleaning and make sure that the kitchen is up to mark with cleaning standards for the next day of service.
- Cleaning of grease traps
- Washing of can opener
- Change foil lining of the grill, flattops, and range
- Run hood filters through the dishwasher
The tasks that can be rotated throughout the week include:-
- cleaning of sinks and faucets
- Cleanses of coffee machine
- Cleaning of ovens including door, racks, and walls
- Boil out the deep fryer
- Use drain cleaner on the floor drains
- Sanitization of walk-in refrigerators and freezers
- Cleaning of any anti-fatigue mats
In weekly cleaning, these monthly jobs should also schedule so that staff shares this burden of side work.
- Cleaning behind the hotline (stove, oven, fryers) to remove the grease build-up which can lead to fire hazard.
- Clean freezers
- Empty and sanitize your ice machine
- Cleaning of storage areas
- Change any pest traps
- Wipe down the dry storage area
- Cleaning of walls and ceilings
- Restock your first aid kit
There are different tasks that need to be done each year to ensure the cleaning and safety of your kitchen. These tasks generally required professional help. It is important because if there are any issues or repair is needed then you can fix it on time without losing too much in business. Like:-
- Checking of fire suppression system
- Examine of fire extinguishers ( it should be done twice a year)
- Cleaning of pilot lights on any gas kitchen equipment
- Cleaning of hoods by the professional company. This work is very messy and time-consuming where professionals can easily do it for you.
By following these cleaning and hygiene schedules you can keep your commercial kitchen safe for employees and customers also. This will help in preventing possible food contamination and reduce the chances of food spoilage and waste.
Buy Hotel Supplies online
Are you looking for a wide range of hotel supplies for maintaining your restaurant kitchen hygiene? If yes, buy it from trusted online stores that deliver the best solutions to meet the hygiene of your company. Whether you want to buy hand dryers, sink or cleaning equipment, you can buy them online at great prices with doorstep shipping services. For example, HorecaTraders is one such trusted online store that assures you to provide excellent hygiene solutions in terms of products and applications for your commercial kitchen. You can buy fly killers to latest technology professional dishwashers, paper dispensers, or cleaning chemicals to tissues under one roof at HorecaTraders.